This week I finished a blue crocheted cardigan. It was not my first hooked cardigan. I have made a few some years ago. But this one was specially made and designed by myself. After making some blankets this was a real challenge to do. A hooked garment becomes often a bit heavy and thick. I avoided this by using an open stitch structure. For the band, edges, cuffs and shoulders i used the moss stitch or granite stitch. An easy stitch with the advantage that the piece will be straight and neat. It takes a lot of yarn, but not so much as only single crochet. The main stitch I used is a variation on the granite stitch and also a net stitch. Instead of single crochet, half double crochet is hooked. Take great care to crochet the edges very neat. I changed the row by making 2 single crochet in the last space and 2 ch, turn and put the hook in the first space after these last sc’s and make a sc followed by a 1 ch.
For the measurements I used a pattern of Jessica tromp and the grannies are from the book Granny squares crochet. The granny is named star 1. I made 20 grannies for the cardigan. 10 where used on the waist side and the other 10 on the upper sleeve sides.
- Make first the grannies, 22 in total, each granny is 4 inch
- Crochet 10 – 12 of them together for the waist (I made 11 and 2 halves)
- Crochet the waist band from the grannies downward in moss stitch
- Crochet the front sides and back side in main pattern upward from the grannies
- Crochet in moss stitch the shoulders on the front sides and secure them to the back
- Crochet the neckband in moss stitch
- Crochet in moss stitch the left and right front band, don’t forget to make buttonholes, best is to crochet the bands alternately so they become equal in size
- Crochet the sleeve grannies to each other
- Crochet downwards the sleeves in main pattern, decrease every fourth row
- Crochet the cuffs in moss stitch
- Crochet a few rows on the top side of the grannies
- Crochet or sew the sleeves into the armholes.
- Sew a few buttons to the front band
The yarn I used is Stylecraft Special DK, 7 -8 balls, and hook 4.0 mm, Colors used were, silver, storm blue, white and some leftover yarn in different colors.