Do you remember my secret garden blanket? It is finished and almost ready to hang on the wall. In the last post i made a edge of roses. I had the idea that some water in my garden would be nice so I made two rows of ditches with some flowers like the yellow lis on the banks of the ditch. It is not so complicated to make. But there are a lot of rows to crochet.
In this part of my secret Garden Blanket I made a band of roses. You can find the instructions to make the roses in the look what I made website as part of the Sophie Universe Blanket. Follow the instructions from round 57 and 58, make the leaves first and skip the big flower side. In the next round on each leaf a rose is made, as is in the pictures below.
My Frida’s Flowers Blanket is finished. Yesterday I hooked the last stitches and cut the last threads of the edge. And so there came an end to this Cal. The result is beautiful.
I made the edge with the colors of the background: midnight, plum, raspberry and petrol. The seams between the panels are made in raspberry (Mauve). It took almost a half skein to make the seams. There were a lot of threads to finish so it took quit a while before i was ready, but now I am done and ready to start a new project.
I am half way through the assembling of the Frida’s Flowers Cal. It is a lot of puzzling to find the correct place for each panel.
The panels are crocheted to each other on the backside. I am using Raspberry to do so. I have chosen this color because it contrasts all other panels beautiful and there was a sufficient amount of yarn left.
I have trouble seeing the dark panels by lamplight so I have to work on the blanket by daylight. But the last days were also very dark ans cloudy and I didn’t make much progress. The flowers have an extra difficulty, because the leaves and petals are mostly in the middle of each side and they have to match the middle of the contrasting panel.
I hope the assembling of the pieces is complete before Tuesday, when the last part of The Cal, the edge, will appear.
All panels of the Frida’s Flowers Cal are now made! I just have finished the 5 hexagons of part 7, Frida’s Bouquet. Now I have to assemble all pieces in a superb blanket. But first I have to eliminate all loose threads of the remaining 10 pieces. this gives lot of work to do.
Part 7 is a mix of all other panels, a little flower on top, leaves, red petals and a background piece, of yellow and white. The flower is the cosmos flower of the first piece. It is just a little flower on top of a bigger flower, surrounded with more yellow and white flowers, the bouquet.
This time there were 5 pieces to make. I made the little flowers in different colors, first lime and soft peach in two flowers and meadow and white in two others and lime and white in the last flower (this will be the centerpiece). The leaves get the same colors as the top flowers. The second row of the leaves was the most difficult to make, counting my stitches wouldn’t help, I always missed one. Only missing a stitch doesn’t matter for the next rounds. I found also the yellow color of round 9 a bit to much yellow. And then I forgot to make the blue bullion stitches, but I have corrected that later. Only on the pictures they are still absent.
Taking stock of all the hexagons, I concluded that a few colors were used very minimal, like copper and raspberry. Also I have used only 1,5 skein of midnight. So there is 1,5 skein left for the edging.
If you are going to start the blanket later on, it is a good idea to look into my Ravelry account for the exact length and weight of yarn I used. Maybe you have some leftover yarn that will replace the minimal colors copper and raspberry.
I am working hard to make all the pieces of the Frida’s Flowers before a certain date. So I am laying all my other projects aside and use all my free time to crochet on the pieces. In a few days I made all the six pieces of part 6, the ring of roses.
First I made one to find out if there are difficulties in the making. But the first rounds in which the flower is crocheted are easy enough.
Then we encounter the bullion stitch, after a bit of exercise I found out the the easiest way to make this stitch is to twiddle the yarn at the base of the needle 4 times and then pulling the yarn through with the thumb on the twirls.
The second problem is the making of the leaves in 2 colors of green, the first round was going alright, but the second one gives me problems. On the point of the leaf, the hook struggles with the yarn and is difficult to pull through. Also the six stitches after this point were difficult to execute, I always seem to miss one.
The last rounds of the hexagon piece were no problem at all, only I found it easier to fix the leaf point to the last round by not skip the middle stitch but by crocheting the point to this stitch. I hope this will not give me problems by fastening the pieces to each other.
All six pieces are now made, up to part 7.
After the lavender railing from part 3, the form of the blanket was a large rectangle. I
decided that on the smaller sides of the rectangle I wanted a row of sunflowers in my secret garden blanket. The row of sunflowers is constructed in several rows. The first basic row is made with dark green and has some triple crochet cluster stitches symbolizing the leaves and a frontpost treble crochet as stem, alk around one of the lavender half dc’s.
The flower itself is constructed in 3 rows, where cluster stitches form the petals of the flowers and brown yarn is used to make a heart in the flower.
After the rows of sunflowers was made, the whole blanket was framed with a simple round of hdc and a reverse single crochet stitch or crab stitch.
The blanket is still a bit pulling together in the middle. In the next part that will be solved.