My neighbor asked me to make her a pair of warm gloves and they had to be purple. It was a challenge to make them. First they had to match a favorite scarf, but purple is a difficult color. So I lend the scarf and went to a wool shop. The lady in the shop advised me to buy two different kinds of yarns, that matched the scarf. At home me and my neighbor Ana choose the alpaca yarn. Then I had to find a pattern that matched the yarn. I also didn’t want to knit on four needles or circulair needles. But most patterns are knitted in the round. Luckily my Sister in Law found me a sirdar pattern of gloves knitted with two needles and with the same size my yarn needed. So I started knitting and within a week the gloves were ready. Afterwards a few things could be better. Like the thumb and the fingertips, but that is for a second pair of gloves. For more details visit my ravelry page!
Last weeks I was very busy with knitting. From my needles came a little bolero for my niece, she is 9 years old and loves to dance. I was inspired by te knitwear of Katie Jones and made a bolero in her style. The bolero is knit with needles 4 mm and with Stylecraft special dk (total 1 skein) and it is all knit with cables and different stitches, I like the puff stitches. Some parts are crocheted, arm holes and front band. The colors were raspberry, storm blue, citron, white and turquoise. No pattern is available. My niece was very glad with the bolero gift.
The last 2 weeks I have been knitting on several projects from the Klomplompe book. I made from the patterns in the book a summer-dress, a bolero and top for a 2 year old little girl. First I made the summer-dress. I used Stylecraft special DK color apricot. The skirt seemed a bit dull, so I knitted a band of ajour in it. It looks a bit like Butterflies. The top of the dress is also in ajour. I knitted it 2 times because The first time the top was too small. second time I used a larger needle by the cast off and a few stitches more. The result was now better. I also made a closure or placket on the backside of the dress. The dress was finished with wooden flower buttons
The bolero was in color cream an a bit difficult to make. I didn’t understand the chart at first and made a mess of the first pattern. I pulled it out and started all over. Whenever I did understand the pattern it was easy to go, just counting the stitches every time did it.
The top was made from the remnants of the yarn. I made a flat back, with no flaps, crocheted an edge and made with the knitty mouse a cord to put through the edge. The ajour pattern was already used in the bolero, so I encountered no problems this time. I used in total 2 balls, but you have to buy 3 balls whenever using different colors.
In december I made this nice sweater as a present for a very little boy. It is size 1 year and is knitted with 2 colors Stylecraft Special DK , waterfall and white. On the front size i also knitted two polar bears. I like to knit and alternate it with a crochet project. Such a little sweater is a fun project to make. The pattern’s size can be found on the Jessica Tromp website. The closure is on one of the shoulders.
The toddler dress, I am knitting ask for a knitted piece of string to close the dress. Mostly I crochet such a piece. But this day I remembered I had somewhere a little machine that could also do this for me. It was an old piece kept from my mothers stash when she died. I had never used it. I remembered also where I had put the little machine and so I took it from its drawer and opened the box and there it was the knitty mouse. I even have tried it and made a nice piece of string for the baby dress. The original machine is German and called strick maus. Translated it is knitty mouse. You put a weight on a yarn thread and than twist the machine and the piece of cord will be made.
The last days of the year were busy days. Making foods for new years eve kept me busy. In between I was knitting a small spencer for a little boy and his bigger brother. The pattern is from a book I got on my birthday “Klompelompe”. It was a dutch translation of the very popular Norwegian baby and toddler patterns packed in a book. Just before the year ended the second spencer was finished.
I have already started a new baby knit from the book, a simple dress in toddler size. I have knitted the year away. The first project of 2017 will be this pink dress. I have also a crochet project in my working basket. But that is a much bigger size cardigan, I will write about it another time.
The little spencers are made with Stylecraft special DK remnants and knitted on a pair of needles size 4.0 mm. The first had color storm blue the second petrol. The edges are knit in seed stitch.
Happy New Year, Elzeblaadje
This year I made some nice baby outfits. But I didn’t blogged about it because most baby knits are surprises for the mama’s and papa’s to be! For a little boy in England, that was born this summer, I made a very little debardeur or spencer. Along with it I made a Toad hat and a simple Just born hat with stripes. The toad hat was inspired by Mario bros from Nintendo. The debardeur was a pattern from Tante Hilde (aunt Hilde) . A toadstool applique was hooked to decorate the spencer. The spencer can be opened on the sides and shoulders so you can easy wrap your baby in it. The big bear showed the outfit. The baby size was 62 cm. The used Yarn Katia Peques. Needle 2.5 and 3 mm were needed. The toad hat was my own design.