Because I like knitting and also like a challenge I made this doll for her. The doll itself was easy to knit and very simple, I made first a test doll of cotton I had in my stash, that turned out to be a nice doll, but she had not the right color skin and hair. So I ordered some new yarn and knitted the doll very fast. But he turned out to be a bit bulky, I had adjusted the pattern a bit for the Bowie doll, for the test doll was to feminine.
In the mean while I had studied some Bowie pictures and found a very nice costume., which was also knitted. I liked it so much that I knitted a mini-version right away for the doll. It is of course not the same but it gives an impression of the costume. In the picture the first glimpse of the doll in the costume I knitted. The doll is not yet finished as you can see. The costume exists of a knitted body-part and separate leg and arm parts. I have tried to reproduce the same colors as in the original costume.
I have also made some sneakers, these where crocheted.
In the Icons book the doll was dressed in a costume made from felt. It was a nice costume but I found it a challenge to knit the same costume. On the picture the result. The sleeves are actually arm pieces, so the doll can wear the jacket without them. He looks very cool in it that way. The trousers and jacket are also separate pieces.
The trousers and Jacket are knitted with Catania fine cotton, and the ribbons are crocheted on the fabric. It gives a 3 -dimensional effect. Maybe you recognize the Ziggy Stardust costume already
In this phase of making the doll, I also made the wig and the face. First I knitted from some thick yarn a model for the hair. I wanted to make whiskers and a neck piece in it. The second time knitting a test model, it turned out to be alright. I made the wig in garter stitch with Brazilia SMC. After the wig the face was embroidered. The orange is a little piece of fabric in the right color. So the Ziggy Stardust face of the original doll came to life. In the original pattern were no ears, knitting ears turned out to be very difficult, so I crocheted a pair of them.
When I was searching the internet for photographs of David Bowie, I found a very cool costume and I wondered if I could make the costume. Not long after this I found out that this costume was also the favorite of my client and she liked the idea of making the costume very much.
The trousers were not very difficult to make, but the shirt was more of a challenge. I made it from multicolored catania fine, in the color blue-purple-green. With some natural white I made the intarsia of the shirt. The shirt was knitted in one piece right from the right cuf to the left cuff.
I also made some nice booties to go by the costume.
To the outfit belongs also a guitar and and eye-patch. These items were made later on by my client. She send me a very cool picture of the whole dress-up I think that meanwhile all readers have guessed that I wrote about David Bowie and his Rebel-Rebel outfit.
Last I made a regular outfit for the doll with shirt and jeans, so my client can choose from several costumes and clothes. As surprise I made also some underpants and a anatomical correct body. But we will show no photograph of it.
It was a real fun project to make and I hope my client is satisfied with the result. Some things could be done better, but I like the doll as it is and so did my client.